Provincial Attestation Letter for Canada Student Visa

Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) recent announcement about Canada student visa requires approval letter from provincial government to study in Canada. International students willing to study in Canada must apply for a Provincial Attestation Letter (PAL) along with their study permit application. PAL is now mandatory for Canada Study Permit for certain students.

Learn More

What is Canada Provincial Attestation Letter?

The Canadian government has put a cap on international student numbers in 2024 to control immigration and the housing crisis. IRCC stated they will be accepting 35% fewer students compared to the previous year’s total number of students who came to study in Canada.

This attestation provides evidence that the student has been allocated within the national cap according to a province or territory.

All provinces and territories of Canada will be allocating the number of international students they can accommodate by the federal or provincial government. Once the province and territory have the allocation, they will issue provincial attestation letters to the international students willing to study in Canada as per their capacity.

Province or territory will stop issuing PALs once they reach their highest number of allocations to recruit overseas students in their province.


How to Apply PAL for Canada student visa?

The instructions to apply for Provincial Attestation Letter (PAL) is yet to confirm by the individual province and terriroty. The federal government instructed province to have a set of rules and procedures by 31st March 2024.  

Requirements to apply Provincial Attestation Letter

Provincial Attestation Letter (PAL) requirements still need to be set. The provinces must create requirements and procedures to apply for PAL by 31st March 2024. We will update you as soon as it arrives. Stay in touch.

  • Expected Approval rate in 2024 59.4% 59.4%
  • Total reduce % of student visa 35% 35%
  • Expected application rate in 2024 68.24% 68.24%
  • Expected rejection rate 40.6% 40.6%

Who needs a provincial attestation letter?

International students interested in studying in Canada at the Undergraduate and non-degree levels require a Provincial attestation letter. To obtain a Canada study permit, international students must submit a PAL, their Letter of Acceptance (LOA), and other requirements.

The student has to get a Letter of Acceptance or admission letter from the Designated Learning Institute (DLI). Then, the overseas students will be eligible to apply for a PAL to the chosen province they are willing to study.



Frequently Asked Questions about Canada PAL

Who needs a Provincial Attestation Letter (PAL) for a Canada student visa?

  • Bachelor Degree seeking students
  • College Diploma students e.g. 1, 2 or 3 years Diploma
  • Post-Graduate Certificate (most non-degree granting graduate programs)
  • Post-Graduate Diploma (most non-degree granting graduate programs)
  • Post Baccalaureate Diploma (most non-degree granting graduate programs)

Who doesn't need Provincial Attestation Letter (PAL) for a Canada student visa?

  • Masters Degree Students
  • PhD Students
  • Primary and Secondary Levels students (Schooling Visa)
  • visiting or exchange students
  • in-Canada study permit and work permit holders (includes study permit holders applying for an extension)
  • in-Canada family members of study permit or work permit holders
  • students whose application we received before 8:30 a.m. ET on January 22, 2024

How to Apply for PAL for Canada study permit?

Application is not yet open to apply for Provincial attestation letter (PAL). After March 31st 2024 the provincial governments will accept PAL applications.

I'm an International students in Canada already do I need PAL?

On Shore (already in Canada)  International students in Canada doesn’t require a provincial attestation letter to extend or renew their study permit.

Do I need PAL for Post-Graduate Certificate or Diploma course?

Yes, students applying to study one or two year postgraduate certificate or postgradaute Diploma needs provincial attestation letter. Including Post post baccalaureate diploma. Postgraduate programs are non degree courses.