How to Apply B.C. Provincial Attestation Letter (PAL)

International students need Provincial Attestation Letter (PAL) to study in British Columbia province. All student must submit PAL with their study permit application who requires it.


British Columbia government has announced their PAL requirements for international students and now they can apply to get PAL for study permit from the province. International student can now request a PAL letter to their chosen post-secondary education in British Columbia they get admitted. 

Learn More

How to Process British Columbia PAL?

Since IRCC confirmed overseas students can use LOA to accept into a choice of their program at a DLI listed post-secondary university or college at British Columbia. 

This attestation provides evidence that the student has been allocated within the national cap according to a province or territory.

All international student at undergraduate or Diploma level must need a PAL to study in British Columbia province regardless of their status or terms. So the PALs was just a matter of time for the provincial government to establish their requirements.

B.C is estimating to issue 83,000 PAL for study permit in 2024. If you’ve been accepted to any program to study at B.C. you may request for a PAL from your designated learning provider for a PAL to support your study permit.

Apply now to get your PAL from B.C.

PAL allocation is limited to each province and once a student get accepted to study a program they should immediately apply for a PAL. Request a provincial attestation letter for British Columbia through your chosen university or college. The DLI listed institutes will apply your PAL once you are eligible for PAL (meeting all the institutes admission requirements). It has now become a tricky for students who apply to multiple institutes and they must select only one institute to request for PAL. Getting admissions or Letter of Acceptance doesn’t guarantee you will get the PAL. Student should make sure they fulfil the individual institutes PAL requirements as well. 

Getting a PAL from B.C. institutes is very straightforward. Once you are issued Letter of Acceptance and meet all admission requirements the DLI will request a PAL to the provincial government and they will then send it to the eligible students. If you are a student planning to study in Ontario then you should apply for Ontario PAL.

Who needs a provincial attestation letter?

International students interested in studying in Canada at the Undergraduate and non-degree levels require a Provincial attestation letter. To obtain a Canada study permit, international students must submit a PAL, their Letter of Acceptance (LOA), and other requirements.


The student has to get a Letter of Acceptance or admission letter from the Designated Learning Institute (DLI). Then, the overseas students will be eligible to apply for a PAL to the chosen province they are willing to study.

Frequently Asked Questions about Canada PAL

Who needs a Provincial Attestation Letter (PAL) for a Canada student visa?

  • Bachelor Degree seeking students
  • College Diploma students e.g. 1, 2 or 3 years Diploma
  • Post-Graduate Certificate (most non-degree granting graduate programs)
  • Post-Graduate Diploma (most non-degree granting graduate programs)
  • Post Baccalaureate Diploma (most non-degree granting graduate programs)

Who doesn't need Provincial Attestation Letter (PAL) for a Canada student visa?

  • Masters Degree Students
  • PhD Students
  • Primary and Secondary Levels students (Schooling Visa)
  • visiting or exchange students
  • in-Canada study permit and work permit holders (includes study permit holders applying for an extension)
  • in-Canada family members of study permit or work permit holders
  • students whose application we received before 8:30 a.m. ET on January 22, 2024

How to Apply for PAL for Canada study permit?

Application is not yet open to apply for Provincial attestation letter (PAL). After March 31st 2024 the provincial governments will accept PAL applications.

I'm an International students in Canada already do I need PAL?

On Shore (already in Canada)  International students in Canada doesn’t require a provincial attestation letter to extend or renew their study permit.

Do I need PAL for Post-Graduate Certificate or Diploma course?

Yes, students applying to study one or two year postgraduate certificate or postgradaute Diploma needs provincial attestation letter. Including Post post baccalaureate diploma. Postgraduate programs are non degree courses.