You cannot apply for an Alberta PAL – Provincial Attestation Letter directly by yourself to the provincial government. The process is handled by the educational institution you’ve been accepted to in Alberta. Your DLI is responsible for applying for PAL on your behalf to the Alberta Provincial Government. Once your college or university receives the Alberta PAL, they will send you if you fulfill all the admission requirements as an international student to study in Alberta province. Here’s the breakdown:

  • Institutions Handle Applications: As of January 22nd, 2024, the Government of Alberta requires post-secondary institutions to submit PAL applications on behalf of all accepted international students.
  • Pay tuition deposit: To request an Alberta PAL, you must pay the initial tuition deposit requested by the university or college. Once the required tuition fees are paid, please follow the university procedures for PAL requests. 
  • Contact Your School Registrar:  If you need a PAL to study in Alberta, the best course of action is to contact the registrar’s office or international admission office at the institution you’ve been accepted to. They’ll have the most up-to-date information and guide you through any steps required on your end, such as accepting your offer and paying any necessary deposits.
  • Government Resources: While you can’t directly apply, here are some resources from the Alberta government that explain the requirements for an Alberta PAL for study permits.

Some universities might have information on their student services websites. For instance, the University of Calgary has a page explaining Provincial Attestation Letters. 

You’ll receive the Alberta Provincial attestation letter once the attestation process is complete and your application is approved. This letter will serve as official verification of the authenticity of your admissibility to study in Alberta province. Receiving a PAL doesn’t guarantee your study permit approval. 

Do I need an Alberta PAL?

Yes, you need an Alberta PAL if you intend to study an undergraduate or Diploma course in the province, along with your Letter of Acceptance for Canada student visa purposes. 

Students applying to study for a Master’s or PhD degree at a university in Alberta province don’t require a PAL for Canada study permit application. Masters and Ph.D. programs are exempted from the international student cap set by the IRCC. 

Remember, the Provincial Attestation Letter is an internal process between the educational institution and the Alberta government. Five provinces have now started issuing PAL. Most soughed Ontario is yet to declare their PAL processing. Contact your school’s registrar or international office for the most accurate and up-to-date information on how to proceed.

Why choose Alberta to study in Canada?

Alberta is home to several prestigious universities and colleges known for their academic excellence and research opportunities. Institutions like the University of Alberta and the University of Calgary consistently rank among the top universities in Canada and the world.

Alberta offers post-graduate work permits to international students, allowing them to gain valuable Canadian work experience after completing their studies. This experience can be instrumental in obtaining permanent residency in Canada.

Top 10 universities you can consider to study in Alberta.

  1. University of Alberta (UAlberta)
  2. University of Calgary (UCalgary)
  3. Mount Royal University
  4. MacEwan University
  5. University of Lethbridge
  6. Concordia University of Edmonton
  7. The King’s University
  8. St Mary’s University
  9. Southern Alberta Institute of Technology
  10. Northern Alberta Institute of Technology

These universities in Alberta offer diverse programs, research opportunities, and supportive learning environments, making them attractive destinations for students seeking quality education in Canada. Prospective students should explore the specific programs, admission requirements, and campus life to find the best fit for their academic and career goals. If you are an onshore international student in Canada planning to study in Alberta province, get help from a professional agency. They can guide you through admission, Alberta PAL requirements, DLI change, career guidance etc.