How to Apply Quebec Provincial Attestation Letter (PAL)

International students need Provincial Attestation Letter (PAL) to study in Quebec province. All student must submit PAL with their study permit application who requires it.


Quebec government has announced their PAL requirements for international students and now they can apply to get PAL for study permit from the province. International student can now use ‘Quebec Acceptance Certificate – CAQ‘ as their PAL letter but there’s some additional terms should be added in CAQ as proof of Provincial attestation for study permit applications.   

Learn More

How to Process Quebec Acceptance Certificate (CAQ)

Since IRCC confirmed overseas students can use CAQ to act as their PAL for study permit is now open for applications. 

This attestation provides evidence that the student has been allocated within the national cap according to a province or territory.

All international student must need a CAQ to study in Quebec regardless of their status or terms. So the PALs was just a matter of time for the provincial government to establish their requirements.

Quebec is first the province to announce ‘How to get Quebec PAL to apply study permit’ since IRCC set the rules on early January 2024.

Details concerning the letters of attestation

Since February 13, 2024, the MIFI has been issuing an updated letter attesting to the issuance of the Certificat d’acceptation du Québec (Québec Acceptance Certificate) for studies. This letter enables candidates to apply for a study permit, in accordance with the federal government’s instructions, released on January 22, 2024. At this point, no further action is required on the part of either the applicant or the educational institution.


Who needs a provincial attestation letter?

International students interested in studying in Canada at the Undergraduate and non-degree levels require a Provincial attestation letter. To obtain a Canada study permit, international students must submit a PAL, their Letter of Acceptance (LOA), and other requirements.


The student has to get a Letter of Acceptance or admission letter from the Designated Learning Institute (DLI). Then, the overseas students will be eligible to apply for a PAL to the chosen province they are willing to study.

Frequently Asked Questions about Canada PAL

Who needs a Provincial Attestation Letter (PAL) for a Canada student visa?

  • Bachelor Degree seeking students
  • College Diploma students e.g. 1, 2 or 3 years Diploma
  • Post-Graduate Certificate (most non-degree granting graduate programs)
  • Post-Graduate Diploma (most non-degree granting graduate programs)
  • Post Baccalaureate Diploma (most non-degree granting graduate programs)

Who doesn't need Provincial Attestation Letter (PAL) for a Canada student visa?

  • Masters Degree Students
  • PhD Students
  • Primary and Secondary Levels students (Schooling Visa)
  • visiting or exchange students
  • in-Canada study permit and work permit holders (includes study permit holders applying for an extension)
  • in-Canada family members of study permit or work permit holders
  • students whose application we received before 8:30 a.m. ET on January 22, 2024

How to Apply for PAL for Canada study permit?

Application is not yet open to apply for Provincial attestation letter (PAL). After March 31st 2024 the provincial governments will accept PAL applications.

I'm an International students in Canada already do I need PAL?

On Shore (already in Canada)  International students in Canada doesn’t require a provincial attestation letter to extend or renew their study permit.

Do I need PAL for Post-Graduate Certificate or Diploma course?

Yes, students applying to study one or two year postgraduate certificate or postgradaute Diploma needs provincial attestation letter. Including Post post baccalaureate diploma. Postgraduate programs are non degree courses.