Immigration Minister Marc Miller announced today that, starting in Fall 2024, international students’ work permits will be increased from 20 to 24 hours weekly while studying in Canada. This change is designed to provide you with more flexibility and opportunities to balance your studies and work, relieving some of the financial pressures you may be experiencing. 

The Minister also declared that the temporary measure allowing the student to work unlimited hours weekly will end today. We understand that the non-extension of the temporary measures regarding off-campus work permits may impact your plans. 

However, please rest assured that we are here to support you through this transition and ensure that you have the necessary resources and guidance to navigate these changes.

The good news is that the new work permit limit is 24 hours weekly in Canada for International students

Beginning in fall 2024, international students in Canada can work up to 24 hours per week while in school. This is different from what the government said last December. At that time, they planned to look at other options for this policy, such as increasing off-campus work hours to 30 hours per week while in school. International student new 24 hours work permit still a good options .

In light of Canada’s recent increase in living expenses, a 24-hour work limit could benefit students seeking to earn extra pocket money. This measure could provide a more balanced approach to managing work and studies while helping students cope with the rising cost of living.

More adjustments for overseas students 

Canada’s policy for foreign students has recently been adjusted to enhance the system’s integrity. One of these changes is the requirement for an additional step when obtaining a study permit. To acquire a study permit, students now need to provide a Provincial Attestation Letter (PAL) from the province of their designated learning institution (DLI). This is part of a total cap on the number of study permits that the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) will handle by 2024. 

Furthermore, the IRCC is implementing the Trusted Institutions Framework for DLIs in Canada. This framework entails identifying institutions with a proven track record of satisfactorily supporting international students.

Who can work during the study in Canada?

If you are an international student and want to know if you can work, check your status below. Some co-op courses may require separate work permit.

  • Possess a current study permit; are enrolled full-time in any province’s designated learning institutes; 
  • have begun their studies there and are maintaining a satisfactory academic standing; 
  • Be enrolled with a school, college or university in a professional, vocational, or academic training program that lasts at least six months and results in a degree, diploma, or certificate; 
  • And possess a current Social Insurance Number (SIN)

Throughout your international student journey, you may experience many more immigration changes in the future. As an international student, you must keep yourself updated with these changes and abide by the rules.